SPID Theatre Company
- Far Far Away Workshops SPID is currently offering free weekly workshops for young people aged 8 - 13. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info
- Professional theatre SPID's Premier Immersive Show Arthur's World Sold Out at the Bush Theatre.
- Youth Theatre: Hood Our latest youth production, part of the National Theatre Connections Festival with support from RBKC's Arts Service, Community Safety Fund and City Living local Life Programme
- Youth Theatre Education SPID runs a variety of free workshops in diverse theatre skills for young people aged 8 - 21.
- Kensal Voices Join SPID on a journey through time and discover the hidden past of historic council estate Kensal House.
- Free Weekly Theatre Workshops We run FREE weekly training workshops in all aspects of theatre, for young people aged 8-13 on Tuesdays from 4.30pm – 6pm, and aged 13-19 on Thursdays from 6.30pm – 8.30pm.
- Productions: Childsplay Childsplay – An Interactive Journey Through Outdoor Games Across the Ages. Photograph by Colin O'Brien
- Youth Theatre: The Passersby The Passersby – An immersive play by Nnenna Samson
- Youth Theatre: Kensal Youth SPID's first ever youth show - involving restoration of the Grade II* listed community rooms
- Youth Theatre: Superhuman Superhuman is a 360˚ production that picks the audience up and whirls them around – literally! Part play, part fairground ride through time and space, audiences had never seen anything like it.
SPID has been awarded the Clore Duffield Foundation’s £50,000 prize to deliver Trellick Tales: making high-rise history
SPID has been working in Kensal House estate, helping young people bring their neglected local environment to life through theatre, film and historical research. They are now about to tackle Trellick Tower, the brutalist 1960s north west London council estate in one of the most deprived wards in the country. Teenagers will take part in a year-long project that will give them a voice and demonstrate to their community that there is another way to see the architectural environment they live in.
Clore Social Fellow David Russell said,” I have supported S.P.I.D for over a decade as a trustee, and in partnership with Clore Leadership Fellow, Rachel Grunwald, we now cannot wait to work with the young people in Trellick to demonstrate how their dreams can rise as high as the flats in which they live”
Kensal Voices, our year-long youth heritage project for 13-25 year olds concluded with a site-specific show at Kensal House on Saturday, 22 February 2014, performed by participants. Both sold-out performances and the Q&A with a panel of experts in architecture and performance were a huge success.
Stories in Residence: Tales of the sunshine flats tells the story of the hopes and dreams intended for Maxwell Fry’s “urban village” and brings to life its forgotten stories. In this promenade show the audience is fully immersed in pop-up scenes re-imagining past events all over the estate, going on a time-traveling journey from 1937 to the present day.
“Very unusual and innovative way of introducing a historical building to people … Made it really vivid how people live here through the decades.”
“I loved the interactive nature of the production.”
“Great use of music, direction, mix of today/past/present/theatre/performance and life.”
Follow our Kensal Voices Blog with articles written by participants.
Check out photos from the show here, and stay tuned for video footage.
Click the image to download the Kensal House Brochure, written and designed by Kensal Voices participants and gain fascinating insights in the history and architecture of the building.
Far Far Away
Far Far Away” takes you through time and space to discover something completely original, trains you in new skills and empowers you to put on a show at the end of the year. Exploring a variety of disciplines in four-week sections, it has something for everyone. If you want to take centre stage or prefer running the show from the background, these workshops are for you. Try one of our workshops or come to all of them to get the full experience!